What to do if Your Car Fails its MOT

Cars over three years of age in the UK will all need to pass an MOT in order to be considered roadworthy. This can become very expensive for car owners if the car does not pass the MOT and has some kind of serious problem with it. If you find yourself in the situation where your car hasn’t passed its MOT, here is what you can do:

  • Ask the garage where you had the MOT carried out for a repair work quotation. They will already know what needs doing, so you won’t need any diagnostic work carrying out.
  • Get a quotation from another garage to compare. It may be significantly cheaper to go elsewhere. It’s always worth finding out what you would pay somewhere else, even if it is just for your peace of mind.
  • Consider selling your vehicle. This could work in your favour if your car, van or motorbike is already quite old and the repair would cost more than its value.